I know it has been a while since I updated, so let me catch everyone up. Towards the end of the semester, I completed my goal of creating an annotated syllabus. The syllabus included a course description, university policies, a grading system, a grade breakdown, a full list of all assignments with descriptions, a full course calendar, and a list of all of the sources used with appropriate annotations.
However, my work is far from done! The goal for the summer is to make the necessary revisions to the syllabus, create rubrics for the assignments, and create two-three full fledged lectures for the course.
For the past few weeks I have been organizing and planning how I want to approach all of this work. Once I had an outline of everything that needed to be done, I dove straight in. Currently, I am working on the lecture that will cover film analysis as well as how we can use those components to analyze the graphic novels. Once I have full notes on all of the sources with questions, cross-references, and activities, I will be creating a powerpoint and a second set of lecture notes that includes just the relevant information.
In addition, I am in the process of acquiring my own copies of all of the materials and taking more organized notes that can be used as references for grading and leading class discussions. These notes will include everything I consider important about the source, details I want the students to pick up on, and questions I want the students to ask about both the source and how it fits into the larger scope of the course.
I am very excited about all of the work that I have this summer. It is a large project, but the finished product will definitely be something to be proud of.